Indonesian cuisine offers a variety of dishes that are not only delicious, but also healthy, especially if you use a few substitutes. This recipe for ayam goreng (a fried chicken dish) is a great example of a healthy Indonesian dish that usually calls for flour and sugar, but instead you can replace the sugar with date paste or Stevia, and simply skip the flour. Also, if you have an air fryer it’s amazing how delicious and healthy your meals will be, with very little or no oil.
You can make this dish to inspire you to visit Bali, or to bring back memories if you’ve already been lucky enough to go. And of course, this is a fantastic date night idea, to cook with or for your partner or friends.
Try searching on Youtube for Indonesian music, light some candles, and try to get some edible flowers as a garnish to make you feel as if you’re there!
1 lb chicken breast, cut into small pieces 1 tbsp turmeric 1 tbsp garlic powder 1 tbsp onion powder 1 tbsp cumin 1 tbsp coriander 1 tbsp salt 1/2 tsp black pepper 2 tbsp olive oil 1/2 cup chicken broth 1/2 cup coconut milk 1/2 cup white vinegar 1/2 cup date paste 1/4 cup soy sauce or Braggs Amino Acid 1/4 cup tomato paste 2 bay leaves 1 cinnamon stick 10 cloves 1 star anise
This recipe calls for flour, so I would leave it out. However, you can use almond or rice flour if you like.
1. In a large bowl, combine the chicken pieces with the spices.
2. Mix together well and set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, combine baking powder, and salt, and either skip the flour, or add your own healthier version if you wish.
4. Mix well.
5. Add the eggs and mix well again.
6. Add the oil and mix until well combined.
7. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until well combined.
8. Pour the batter into two greased 9×13 inch baking pans and spread evenly.
And there you have it: a super healthy meal idea from Bali, Indonesia!
Have you been to Bali, or any place in Indonesia? What are your favorite Indonesian dishes?
Please tell us in the comments below.
And remember to share this article on social media if you have the kind, sweet, generous heart I know you do. 😉